I am keeping it short and sweet for this blog post, as I have a big day ahead of me. Today we will be meeting up with Jayden’s Godparents, my dearest friends, for a full day of fun at the rodeo. I cannot wait since this will be the first time we go as a family. Last year my husband wasn’t able to go with me and Jayden because he had to work. Luckily this year it all worked out, and we are headed to see one of my favorite country artist Thomas Rhett. The rodeo is always something we look forward to every year. The food, the music, the animals, there is so much to look forward too. One thing I particularly love is getting an excuse to wear my cowboy boots and getting all dressed up for the rodeo. Here is a rodeo inspired look with one of my favorite red romper.
This past week was a challenging time for me and my husband as parents. Our little guy got his first ear infection and gave us a scare when his fever was over 104 degrees! We rushed to the ER only to find out it was a common thing for children his age, and not as life threatening matter as we had feared. Apparently we weren’t giving Jayden the right dosage of Tylenol to break his fever, and were only giving half of the recommended dosage. I think one of the most frustrating things about being a first time parent is learning what and what not to freak out over, and even more stressful when both parents don’t agree. Continue reading
This past weekend my husband and I had the opportunity to attend a close friend’s birthday at the new Oporto in Midtown. The restaurant was amazing, great venue, reasonable prices, good food, and amazing white sangria. If you haven’t been there it, I would highly recommend it. Plus they have their own parking garage and valet which makes it so much more convenient with all the traffic and construction down there.
Let’s be honest, it isn’t the easiest thing to get ready let alone be fashionable when you are juggling a baby, let alone multiple kids. But as a mother, I believe you can still be stylish by keeping 5 must have fashion staples in your closet. Pieces that can coordinate with almost anything, yet comfortable for everyday wear, and seemingly effortless look when put together. So mom’s listen up, if you don’t have these things in your closet, here’s an excuse to go shopping!
1. A flowy blouse – You can’t go wrong with a flowy blouse. It’s a classic top that is comfy, easy to dress up or down, and great when you feel a little bloated to wear anything fitted. I love blouses where you can fold the sleeves up like the one I’m wearing. This blouse is a major steal for less than $15! It’s hard not to get one in every color. I had to get my favorite color of course!
2. Reversible tote bag– Can’t decide between brown or black? No worries this tote is reversible! How amazing is that? Totes are a must have when you are a mom. You never know what extra things you might end up stuffing in your purse. For me it’s usually shoes or socks my little one manages to take off during the day. A simple leather tote like this is great for being stain resistant, chew resistant (my baby loves to chew on my purse now that he is teething), and goes great with everything.
3. Perfect fitted skinny/straight jeans – If you don’t have a skinny or straight jean, please go to the Buckle and they will help you find your perfect fit. I know some people are still stuck to their bootcut or flare ways, but skinny and straight jeans are so much more versatile. You can cuff them like a capri, wear it inside boots, or wear them with flats and wedges. I absolutely love my Miss Me destructed skinnies. They are the perfect wash, with a little bit of bling for an added flare. You can get these on sale right now at the Buckle. Plus they are doing a denim promotion where you can get a free backpack for school with a purchase of two jeans. Yes I am partial to Buckle jeans because not only do I wear it, but I have worked with the company for over 5 years and know how much quality and effort goes in every pair. Plus the customer service is exceptional.
4. Cute comfy flats – I love these Valentino inspired flats I bought at the Red Dress Boutique. They are absolutely adorable and go with everything. Perfect for running errands or for work.
5. Accessories – last but not least accessories. It can be as easy as putting on a necklace, earrings, and/or a bracelet. But your accessories make your outfit, so don’t forget to accessorize! Here are some of my must have pieces below.
This past weekend I attended a fellow Houston Blogger, Nikki of Lipstick and Brunch, Summer Social at Lanford Market in Rice Village. It was such a wonderful event, and I loved getting to meet all the other Houston Bloggers at the event. I took my son Jayden to his first blogger event with mommy, and he was such a hit with the girls. He loved being around all the beautiful ladies.
For the event I wore this gorgeous fitted Bar III dress from Macy’s which is on sale for 60% off. I accessorized it with gold and leopard accessories and this super chic Rosalie arm cuff from Jolie BohèmeBoutique. For all my wonderful readers, you can get this same cuff and your whole purchase 25% off at Jolie Bohème by typing in the code “DAWN” at checkout. I love adding signature touches that accentuate my personal style. Everyone can wear the same white dress, but it’s how you accessorize it that make it your own. You will see reoccurring pieces with gold and animal prints throughout my fashion blog post. Below are the links to my outfit:
This past week my friends and I went to a Viennese inspired Fashion show at the Houston Art Museum. It was such a fun event supporting upcoming fashion designers in our local community. We met so many fashionable people of Houston with such unique fashion sense. It was an inspiration for this blog post to showcase my fellow fashionista’s outfits to this event.
Three different women, three different body types, with three different styles. We have my beautiful friend Nour in her classic and curvy fit and flare black and white dress. The gorgeous and tall Margret in her romantic ombre maxi. And then there’s me, your petite and colorful blogger in a more Modern chic yellow tunic. Each of us with our own unique personality showcasing our own unique style. No matter your body type, I believe your style should showcase who you are. Find something you feel beautiful in and rock it. Style is away to express who you are without having to speak. What does your style say about you?
Have you gotten your outfit for this weekend yet? For the beach, a BBQ, the pool, or a night out with friends here are some of my favorite 4th of July dresses for under $30. Click on the picture for the link.
P.S. Follow my instagram @dawnpdarnell for more fashion and style post!