Who says you can’t pattern mix when it comes to fashion? I am probably the biggest perpetrator when it comes to mixing pattern. I love Aztec prints and though most people like to pair it with solid colors, I loved how it coordinated perfectly with this black and white striped dress.
One thing I’ve learned working in the fashion retail industry while being pregnant is how to be fashion savvy without having to sacrifice comfort or money on maternity clothes that you will only wear a couple of months. Here are six everyday fashion must haves every woman needs to have in their closet that will help them get through their pregnancy without investing in maternity wear.
1. Thanksgiving Jeans – Invest in jeans a size too big that you can grow into, whether you want to be comfortable having a real baby or a food baby. When I found out I was pregnant I bought a pair of light and dark low rise Daytrip skinny from Buckle, and a pair of Flying Monkey Boyfriend Jeans. They were less than $60 and I wore them through my whole pregnancy and are still some of my favorite comfy jeans to lounge around or run errands in post pregnancy. Another great tip to grow in your jeans through your pregnancy is using the hair tie jeans trick to hold them up.
2. Casual Pants – versatile, fun, comfy, and fashionable. There are so many styles out there you can dress it up or dress it down for whatever occasion. In the picture below I was a little daring at 17 weeks showing off my bump in a crop top and aztec printed pants from the Buckle.
3. Flowy tops – Invest in tops that are longer and non form fitting. Not only can you grow in these tops, but they are great to pair up with skinny jeans or leggings as well, which brings us to our next must have.
4. Leggings – Every girl has leggings, and now they come in all different prints and patterns you can really have fun with them. Casual or dressy they will become your best friend in your last trimester. Below are black leggings I bought at Victoria Secret to wear to the gym before I was pregnant. They actually looked really cute dressed up with my flowy BKE Red top and Just Fab boots.
5. Dresses – They are the best when showing off that baby bump. They were also great in hiding my swollen cankles during my last few weeks of my pregnancy when the only shoes my big swollen feet could fit in were slippers and flip flops.
6. Extra Long tank tops – Last but not least extra long tank tops. They are the best layering piece under all those shirts that maybe too little but you are still determined to wear so you can show off your bump. By my third trimester I refused to buy any new clothes. I had only a couple weeks left and I was going to make my tops fit, hence my awesome fashion statement below. Like I said there’s nothing extra long tank tops can’t help. 😉
So remember ladies, save your money, and invest in fashion pieces that you can wear before, during, and after your pregnancy. With these 6 key pieces in your wardrobe, you may never have to spend a dime on maternity clothes.