So this week as a part of my May Resolution I challenged myself to cook something a little more difficult than my last post. I was craving a casserole so I found this healthy recipe on Yummly. Yummly is an app you can download, and I highly recommend it to anyone. It is easy to use and has a large database of recipes. Below are the ingredients from the recipe I found. However instead of reduced fat cheese I used non fat cheese as an alternative.
13/4 cups low sodium chicken broth Tasty tip
- 2 cups quick cooking brown rice
- 1 lb broccoli florets (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt (divided)
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder (divided)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (divided)
- 2 tbsps flour
- 2 cups milk (divided, I used skim)
- 3 tbsps dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
11/2 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese (divided, about 6 ounces)
For the directions, it was a little more complicated that I expected it to be. I never juggled having 3 different things going on when it comes to cooking. I had the chicken cooking, the rice boiling, and stirring the cheese sauce all at once while trying to entertain a 4 month old. If I were to try something out like this again I will look for less complicated directions. I know for other moms out there, or anyone like me who doesn’t have the best attention span when it comes to cooking, how difficult it can be to do all these at once. One thing I would change is to avoid sprinkling the cheese on top until its fully cooked, that way it doesn’t harden too much into a crusty like top layer like mine did.
Directions (Well Plated):
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9-inch square, deep baking dish or a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot, then add rice. Return to boil, add broccoli to the top of the pot, then cover, reduce heat to low, and let cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat extra virgin olive oil in Dutch oven or large deep pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Sauté until cooked through and no longer pink in the center, about 4 to 6 minutes, then remove to a plate and set aside. Being careful not to burn yourself, wipe the pot clean with a paper towel.
- Reduce heat to medium. In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the flour and 1/2 cup milk. Pour the mixture into the pot, then add remaining 11/2 cups milk. Cook mixture, stirring constantly until thickened, 7-10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and whisk in Dijon, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Once combined, stir in the Greek yogurt and 1 cup of the shredded cheese until smooth.
- Add the rice and broccoli mixture and the reserved chicken to with cheese sauce, stirring gently to coat. Spoon the mixture the prepared dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes, then serve.
This dish is easily customizable to your tastes and the season. Feel free to swap the rice for prepared farro, quinoa, or another whole grain (adjust the quantity and cooking time accordingly), the chicken for white beans, or the broccoli for any sautéed vegetable of your choice.
Let me know how yours turns out!