I can’t believe it’s already 2016. 2015 flew by and I couldn’t be more thankful for all the blessing we received. It was a year of ups and downs, but overall I wouldn’t change it one bit because through all life’s challenges I have grown so much and become a better person because of it. This year I became a mom. We welcomed our wonderful son Jayden into the world on January 19, 2015. I never knew how much I could love something until he came into this world. It scared me how much I loved him, I would die for him. protect him with all my being, and I would go to the moon and back just to give him the world. He was my inspiration this year, and because of him I became a better blogger. Because of him I was able to step back from my full time career to focus on being a mother and it also allowed me to pursue blogging. I’ve blogged about being a mother, fitness, fashion, and photography. So if you have followed along or have just started here are my favorite posts of the year. Continue reading
With fall coming up, cozy and comfortable is the way to go for this mama. I am a sucker for soft three quarter sleeve statement shirts, and I couldn’t help my self when I saw this fun shirt from the Buckle. Continue reading
Lately I have had some of my friends ask me about my secret to loosing all my pregnancy weight. So how did I do it? How did I loose all 35lbs of my pregnancy weight? Well first let me give you a little background of myself before I got pregnant.
Three years ago I moved to Florida to pursue my career. I was unhealthy, I drank, I ate whatever I want, partied till the light of day, and was in the worse shape of my life. Moving to Florida gave me a wake up call, and I decided to pursue a healthier lifestyle. I gave up drinking, eating out, and even entered myself in a bodybuilding competition. I was probably the fittest I had ever been in my life.
As a mother, having a set morning routine is a must for a life that may not always go as planned when you have a child. My morning routine sets me up to have enough energy to last through the day, and also keeps me on course for a healthy lifestyle.
We all know how easy it is when we are on a rush to forget breakfast, the most important meal of the day. And when we don’t have a healthy breakfast it ultimately can lead to an unhealthy spiral. Trust me, I’ve been there, and usually it becomes more costly at the end, and for me it usually ends up spending $15 at Starbucks, on a 200 calorie coffee drink, 300 calorie breakfast sandwich, 420 calorie cheese Danish, and of course I can’t leave without a 170 calorie cake pop, totaling 1090 calories, all just for breakfast. And for someone like me that’s already two thirds of my calorie intake in a day. And trust me all those carbs and sweets will only lead to an energy crash later in the day, and not to mention a build up of fat.
So what do I do to have a healthy start? Here are my 4 steps:
1. Eat a well balance breakfast. If I’m in a rush I have protein cereal. It has a good breakdown of carbs, protein, and fat, and is delicious during these hot summer days. You can see more of what I eat by following my IG or Facebook page.
2. I take my ID life personalized vitamins. I love these vitamins because they are convenient, individual packed for the person on the go, and I save so much more on quality supplements than what you would find if you bought each of your supplements individually. Why is it important to take supplements? Because the normal person does not get all of their daily nutrients through food consumption. You would literally have to eat 10,000 calories worth of healthy foods a day to get all your daily nutrients. If you would like to take a free health assessment click here.
3. Drink water and take it to go. It is easier to drink water when you have it with you at all times. Water keeps you hydrated and also helps keeps you feeling full. I love adding a little IDLife energy to my drink to give me a little boost!
4. Make a protein shake. This is the easiest thing to do and a great way to supplement your meals. All I do is mix water, ice, frozen fruit, Macrogreens, and vanilla whey protein in a blender, and take it to go with me in a tumbler. I swear on protein shakes. They are great for keeping you full, getting your protein in, and it is so refreshing in this hot Texas heat.
It is really that simple of a morning routine. It preps me for a great day with my baby, or a long day of work. What do you do to start your day off right?
This month I partnered up with DesignR to promote a positive self image and encourage a happy healthy lifestyle with clothing made for the active style conscious woman on the go. Their motto “Embrace the Turtle”, and “Be comfortable in your own shell,” really speaks to the idea that getting fit is not a race. Everyone’s journey is different, and fitness looks different on everyone. It is not a quick fix. It doesn’t happen over night. It is a every day choice to be healthy and happy and loving yourself every step of the way. Fitness is a way of life.
There are so many benefits to making fitness a priority in your life, not only physically, but mentally and spiritually as well. As a wife and mother, here are my top 5 reasons why I make fitness a part of my life:
1. It lowers my stress levels. As Ell Woods put it, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands.” I know my husband can appreciate this lol.
2. It is something I do for myself. After a long busy day of working and taking care of my family, it’s nice to take 30 minutes for myself to workout. It gives me time to myself where I can wind down and do something to improve myself.
3. It pushes me mentally to be stronger. There are many times where my body wants to give up, but my mental strength has pushed my body where I never thought it could.
4. It strengthens my faith. When all else fails and I feel like giving up, my faith has been the number one factor to keep me going. Believing in something greater than myself has helped me in my fitness journey.
5. And last but not least it gives me confidence in myself. All the factors above contribute to added confidence in my life. I can look in the mirror and know I can make a difference. I have all the right tools God gave me to improve myself daily.
A healthy lifestyle is a happy lifestyle. And fitness has helped me become a better person, a better wife, and a better mother.
Don’t forget to check out the details of my outfit below, and make sure to stop by DesignR and checkout all their cute and comfy active wear!
Sometimes it takes a really cute outfit to motivate me to go the gym. I purchased this super cute outfit from the Buckle. The bralette is made by Fox, and I love the mesh neck detail. I love this soft tank from Billabong. It’s a great lightweight tank for the summer and such a steal for less than $25! But the best thing about this outfit is the reversible workout pants. I can actually wear these inside out as a pair of black capris. How cool is that!
Four months postpartum and I still have my hormone line going down the middle of my stomach. I have loose skin from my pregnancy, but it is getting better with the right diet and exercise. For more on my fitness journey to getting my body back better than ever follow my Facebook page.
Thank you all for the encouraging and kind words and for motivating me to work hard towards my fitness goals. I did a fun little Mommy and Me workout video for ya’ll to check out below. It has my new favorite song from Taylor Swift to get you motivated. Hope ya’ll like it!
I know some of you are wondering how I lost the baby weight so fast, and honestly I can credit a majority of it to my “Mom Diet.” So what is the “Mom Diet”? I know I’ve mentioned it a couple times in my previous post so I wanted to explain it you. I never knew about it until I became a mom. It’s an exclusive diet only mothers would know about, and only mothers can relate to.
I remember the first week I was home with my baby I was exclusively breast feeding. It was one of the hardest and yet most rewarding thing I had ever done. But it was also one of the factors that contributed to my “mom diet”. They say when you breast feed you will loose your post baby weight faster. I did’t realize why until now. I remember every 3 hours breast feeding my baby with no breaks in between. I felt like a cow at a certain point because it was literally all I did for days. I rarely got any sleep, and nor did I have time to eat. I was too tired and too stressed to even think about eating. All I could think about was my baby eating and being happy. My nutrition was no longer a priority in my life.
I decided being a stay at home mom was not giving me the life balance I wanted. I needed to make myself a priority as well so I decided to go back to work part time where I could continue to pursue my passions yet be able to be there for Jayden. I was really thankful to work for a company that allowed me to make my schedule and prioritize my family first.
After I started supplementing with formula and started to work part time my diet improved. I ate better at work, where I had a designated break time to enjoy my meals with no interruption. It was one of the perks of going to work. But at home the only consistent thing I was eating was my protein shake and protein peanut butter cups, still not enough nutrients or calories to keep and build my muscle. I had lost all 35lbs of my baby weight in less than 4 months. With the “Mom diet” I was loosing weight the unhealthy way. It wasn’t fat I was loosing but muscles.
Currently right now, I am no longer breast feeding. I still have days where I am so exhausted from staying up all night with the baby that I forget to eat all day. I never thought I would ever have a problem with eating, but it has become more of an after thought than a daily routine some days. My mindset has changed when it comes to eating. I have to remind myself daily my nutrition is important. It is hard for me when all I can think about is my baby, but I know in the long run I have to prioritize my health for me to be the best mom I can be. My friend recommended me to check out a website talking about shifting that baby weight in a healthy way. After having a read, I realised just how important it was for me to get my diet and nutrition back on track before I end up making myself ill!
The “Mom Diet” is not as glamorous as it may seem, and I would not condone it for any mother. Ask for help, take time for yourself, and know you are enough. Don’t feel guilty for wanting to make your health a priority. Don’t feel guilty if you take ten minutes to eat while your baby entertains himself. Yes he might cry for a bit because he just wants to be held, but he will understand eventually. Don’t feel bad if you can’t juggle it all by yourself. It takes a village to raise a child. Being a mom is a selfless job, and we would give more than an arm and a leg just to make our children happy. But if we don’t put or health first, we will end up just giving bones. We are more than just a mom, we are someone’s daughter, wife, sister, friend, coworker, ect. If we want to be the best mother we can be then we have to make ourselves a priority. Our health matters for our children’s sake. I know this is a common sentiment as well, I have a friend who regularly goes to Austin Tennis Lessons and she says it really helps her keep fit enough to keep up with her children.
I was very good about not eating out unless it was to celebrate an occasion, but I did on occasion, when I was at work, eat at Chic Filay more than once in a week; however, I always had the healthy grill chicken pieces and fruit option so that was a plus. I will continue to get better at my April resolutions in addition to my new resolutions for this month. Here are this month’s diet resolutions.
1. Before I start breaking down my macros and creating a meal plan, I will be tracking my calories on My Fitness Pal. This will allow me to see what is working and not working for me when I start making adjustments to my diet next month.
2. I will cook something new once a week. I will be honest with you, I am spoiled by my family and husband. But I know I need to improve my cooking skills and plus soon my son will be old enough to start eating solid food. I can’t shy from my responsibilities any longer so be on the look out for future food posts!
I was very pleased with my results, even though I only strength trained once a week, the other times I did cardio or plyometric workouts with my son at home or at the park. I still noticed such a big difference in my strength. I was noticeably stronger by the end of the month. I only took one group class this month, and my goal was two. I will continue to try to make it to two group classes a month. For my gym routine I will continue following Jamie Eason’s 30 Day Total Body workout plan from my previous post. Here are my May workout resolutions:
1. Increase my strength – Increase my squats by adding 20 lbs
2. Increase my endurance – run 5 miles
3. Take 2 group classes
My spirit resolutions
I was able to go to church once and have date night with my husband. It felt really great to have a personal life balance and to make time for what matters to me most. I’m definitely a happier mother, wife, friend, business entrepreneur, and overall just a happier person when I get to spend the time I have doing what I love with the people I love. I know I don’t get to go out as often as I did before, but when I do go I make most of the time I have. Plus it’s the quality of how you spend your time not the quantity of time you have. We all have twenty four hours in a day, and that will never change. It’s what we decide to do in those twenty four hours that we can change.
I lost 3 lbs from 121 to 118. I’m 3 lbs from my pre pregnancy weight. You can see my mid section tighten up. My hormone line down my belly is still visible but slowly fading away. I still have work to do, but I am very proud of my results and all the hard work put into it. Progression not perfection.