Can’t believe I am 29! Time sure does fly by, especially more now that I have a family of my own. This past weekend we went to our 3rd annual trip to Dallas to visit family and support the Texas Rangers. (View our past trips here and here.) We come from a baseball family, and there’s nothing more that makes this mama’s heart melt than seeing my husband and son share their love for the game. On Saturday the night before my birthday, when we went to the game my hubby surprised me with the sweetest birthday message on the big jumbotron at the Ranger’s stadium. And to top it off, since Josh’s Uncle manages the Rangers, we were able to sit right behind President George W. Bush and meet him at the game! Now that’s a pretty awesome way to remember my 29th birthday. I’m really thankful to be able to have such wonderful family to celebrate with on my birthday, and as I near my thirties I can’t help but reflect on how much I have learned and grown in my twenties. I never imagined my life would be like this, and never could imagine how amazing life would be. I look back at all my throwback pictures and can’t help but laugh at all the crazy good times, and lessons learned. My 20’s were something else, and there isn’t a single thing I regret about it, not even my poor choice in “hoochie mama” clothing during my college party days lol. All of my choices, all of my heartaches, all of my mistakes, help me be who I am today. So here are 29 life lessons I learned in my 20’s.
29 Life Lessons I learned in my 20’s
1. Surround yourself with people of different age groups
I say this because, I just learned how to convert my favorite YouTube mash-ups to MP3 from someone 6 years younger than me. I’ve also learned so much about love, and never giving up hope from my sweet friend who was like a second mom to me when I moved to Florida. It’s crazy how much you will learn about life when you surround yourself with different age groups and generations.
2. Don’t be afraid to fall in love
It hurts sometimes, and some days you don’t even want to try, but don’t be afraid to fall in love because you are afraid to get hurt. Your heart is stronger than you think, especially when you give it to God.
3. It’s ok to give it all you’ve got in love
I have learned it better to lay it all out, to try one last time, even if that means getting hurt again, than to live with regret with wondering if things would be different if I just tried harder.
4. Life isn’t always rainbows and butterflies
My hubby taught me this one lol. I always thought he was a negative nancy when he would say this, but now I’ve realized he was only trying to help me be more aware of my surroundings and the type of things that go on in this world is not always what it seems.
5. Life doesn’t always turned out as planned
6. Your real friends will be there for you no matter what
I mean it, no matter what. My best friends, have been there with me through my worse of days.
7. Friends are their for a reason, season, or lifetime
You will learn as you get older which friend is which. Sometimes it isn’t easy letting go.
8. Your family will mean so much more to you as you get older.
Every year I realize more and more their love for me, and that no matter what family is everything.
9. You will realize your parents were right.
Especially now that I am a mom, I know realize why my parents did what they did. And though I might have hated the things they did back then I know realize why and they were right to make the decisions they made.
10. You become more and more like your parents as you get older.
I am growing to be more and more like my mom when it comes to parenting, and it scares me lol.
11. Don’t be afraid to have male friends
I say this because you will learn so much from having male friends. They teach you a different perspective that your girlfriends won’t.
12. You won’t know he is the one till you find the one
Every guy you question, is he the one, is probably not the one. The guy that you will end up with there won’t be a question in your mind.
13. Wear what you want, because one day as you get older and more self-conscious, you will wish you did.
Now that I am a mom, I am a little more self-conscious about what I wear. I am so glad I wore whatever I wanted back when I could careless what anyone else thought during my college days, because I know when I am eighty with a shaggy butt, I am going to look back at those pictures and say, “DAMN GIRL! You look good in those booty shorts!” Hahahaha!
14. Movies and romance novels have nothing on real love.
Seriously it isn’t that dramatic lol. The Notebook, is one of those extremely dramatic love stories lol. Not all love stories have to be that complicated.
15. When you look back you will realize it all make sense.
Everything happens for a reason, every heartache, mistake, obstacle in your life. It will all make sense one day.
16. Learn to let go and trust in God
Life doesn’t always happen as you plan, but if you learn to let go and trust in God’s plans for you, you will realize everything happens for a reason, and God has a way of making his plans for you greater than you could ever imagine.
17. You don’t have to have answers for everything.
Life doesn’t have to make sense. It will always be a mystery why things, people, are the way they are.
18. Timing is everything especially in love.
Read post here.
19. Life is not meant to be easy.
If it is easy then you are not living to your full potential.
20. Lower your expectations of people, they are human.
This was a hard lesson to learn for me. But no one is perfect, not even your parents, or your best friends. We all make mistakes.
21. You really weren’t all that smart as you thought you were in college. Isn’t that the truth lol!
22. You will learn so much being in sorority.
Read post here.
23. Don’t be afraid to stand up and take what you want
24. Sometimes being stubborn and learning the hard way helps you appreciate when things go right.
25. Travel and see the world.
It will teach you more about life than you know.
26. Your brother and sister will always be your forever friend.
You might fight, and not like each other for days, but no matter what they will be there for you.
27. Your body is capable of being in better shape as you get older.
You may not be able to drink like you use to, but you might be surprised how much better shape you can get when you take care of yourself.
28. Surround yourself with dreamers and doers.
It will motivate you every day to go after your dreams.
29. Life gets better with age.
Life is like a fine wine. It get’s better with age.
SHOP THIS LOOK:
These 29 Life Lessons I learned in my 20’s have taught me so much. It has also helped me develop me to who I am today. I couldn’t imagine my life any other way. So here’s to another year older and another year wiser, and my last year in my 20’s. I can’t wait to see what this year will bring!