This year I reached some blogging milestones. I had my first post published in Huffington Post. I am now getting paid for post on my blog and my Instagram. Brands are paying to advertise on my blog. I had a the opportunity to collaborate with Nordstrom for a paid shopping spree, and I had my first all inclusive complementary travel blogger experience. It was a year of first and blogger dreams come true, but it was also a year of sleepless nights, frustration, and sheer exhaustion. I had tons of help from fellow bloggers, and my family to get me through my first blogging year. You see what most people don’t realize about blogging, is that it takes time, lots of planning, and help to create a good post. It isn’t as glamorous as it may seem on social media, and it can be a full-time job for those who pursue it as a career. I was able to experience success in the business aspect of blogging, but it wasn’t easy. But through my own trial and error here are ten tips to success that will help you in your first year blogging.
1. Ask for help and help others – Don’t be afraid to ask someone who has more experience for help, but also don’t forget to help others too. Kindness goes a long way, and so does Karma, you have to give just as much as you take from others. And let’s be honest people aren’t fans of “smoochers”.
2. Ask for feedback – Always ask for feedback from your audience, family and friends. Make sure you are specific when you ask for feedback so you can get detailed constructive criticism instead of a generalized answer.
3. Follow other blogs – I 100% believe if you follow other blogs, it will help you learn so much about blogging. Bloggers give great tips and advice on their blogs. Plus it’s a great way to learn about different blogging styles and niche.
4. Join blogging groups – If you are serious about blogging, then you need to surround yourself with like-minded individuals who are also just as serious. The best way to do this is to join blogging groups. I joined online blogging groups like Houston Bloggers, Thrive for Bloggers, and the Blog Societies to name a few.
5. Invest in a good camera and a photographer – This is a must. Quality photos are what will make you stand out to brands and your audience. If you want to get recognized, you will want visually appealing photos. I use a Sony A6000, I love a mirrorless camera over a DSLR. It is lighter to carry around, and takes great quality photos. I do use my hubby to help me out with my photo shoots, but it does not compare to having a professional photographer who has the eye for details and creative shots.
6. Don’t be afraid to ask to get paid – I don’t get paid all the time for my post, but when name brands offer me a collaboration opportunity, I do ask for monetary compensation. Blogging takes time and effort like any job, and if you are going to give high quality post, you want to be paid for it.
7. Don’t fear rejection – Trust me, not every brand will be happy to pay, so don’t be afraid of rejection. This happens, but that’s life. You take some, you lose some, but most importantly rejection is a great learning opportunity.
8. Write about what you’re passionate about – You will get tons of opportunity to write for brands when you become more successful, but don’t lose your voice in the process. Always focus on what you are most passionate about because your readers can see it in your post. Don’t be afraid to write because of what others will think, this is your blog, it is about your thoughts and your opinions. Your readers follow you because they trust your thoughts and opinions. Not everyone will like what you have to say, but again that is life. You aren’t here to please everyone.
9. Treat your blog as a business – If you want to be a successful blogger, then you are going to have to treat your blog like a business. Plan your time, have a schedule, and surround yourself with the best people who are going to be there to support your blog.
10. Be Authentic. BE ORIGINAL – This is the most cliché blogging saying, but it is true. Brands don’t just contact you because you have a ton of Instagram followers, you have the most comments, or have the best looking pictures. They contact you, because of the quality and ORIGINALITY of your content. If you are following the crowd, then you won’t stand out. So the question to really ask your self is how are you being authentic to yourself and your brand, and what about you stands out? There are tons of fashion/lifestyle bloggers out there. So why would a brand choose you?
Photos by: Ajay Photography
SHOP THE POST:
Hey everyone! Thank you so much for supporting me, and making my blogging dreams come true. In leu of my birthday month, I am doing a series of weekly giveaways for all my readers. The first one is this modern and oh so chic phone case every GIRL BOSS is going to need. This LuxBox Case is perfect for taking on the go to that business meeting, brunch, or coffee date. All you have to do to enter is make sure you are subscribe to my blog, and follow the instructions of this photo on my IG. This will go live at 7pm tonight. Good luck and thanks for entering!
Yumms! Can’t say no to Nutella Croissants!
I hope you enjoyed these tips! Let me know what you would like to learn from me next. Thanks for following along!
P.S. If you aren’t already following my blog, subscribe below to enter in the giveaway. Promise I won’t spam you, but I will let you know when I have some amazing giveaways on my blog! Thanks so much! Love you guys! xoxo
Follow along to get updates on new post and exclusive GIVEAWAYS!