This New Year I’ve made some resolutions to become a happier healthier me. Being a mom has made me realize how important my health and well being is. I know with my little kiddo getting more and more active everyday, I want to make sure I am in the best shape to keep up with him. It was a challenge for me to learn how to balance being a mother, a wife, and my own personal life. Blogging, starting a photography business, working part time, and trying to juggle all my other roles consumed me, and I had no time for my fitness. I needed to make a change and ditch some bad habits that were holding me back from reaching my goals. So here are my top 10 habits to ditch for the New Year for a healthy and happier you. Did any of these make your list?
- Being critical of yourself – We are our own worse critic, but sometimes we need to be our biggest cheerleader
- Set unrealistic goals and expectations – Don’t set yourself up for failure. Set small realistic goals that lead to your ultimate goal. Strive for progression, not perfection.
- Not getting enough sleep – I am the worse at this. I find myself staying up late at night after everyone is asleep to do my blogging or photo editing. Some nights I don’t make it to bed till 3am, and it is the hardest thing to stay active when you don’t have the energy.
- Over scheduling – There is only 24 hours in a day, prioritize what is important to you to reach your goals. If it is important to you, you will make time for it.
- Comparing yourself to others – This is your journey not anyone else.
- Not planning ahead – Have a plan of action to accomplish your goals
- Spending too much time on social media – My husband’s biggest pet peeve. I know my work requires me to invest time in social media, but I’m learning to separate work from my social life, and making sure to detach myself from my computer or my phone when we have our personal time together.
- Eating too much fast food – I am a sucker for pizza pretzels and sweet tea every day I go to work. Unfortunately those aren’t the best calories for consumption. Fast food is convenient and inexpensive, but in the long run our health is more important that saving money and time on a the dollar menu.
- Not drinking enough water – If you are drinking more soda, energy drinks, alcohol, or tea than water then it’s not healthy for you. I love my new swell bottle. It keeps my water cool and refreshing no matter how hot it gets down here in Houston.
- Smoking – my biggest pet peeve. This has to be the worse and most disgusting habit. It not only impairs your health, and your appearance, but it affects everyone around you too! Second hand smoking is just as dangerous, so if you are around it remove yourself from that situation even if it means loosing a friend.
So what’s are some of your habits your ditching this New Year? Here are some of my favorite accessories to help me get fit for the year.